Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Hawaiian Adventure

As you may have seen from my Facebook pics (sorry, I was "that" person taunting everyone with my status updates for awhile there)...we boycotted the cold and snow by escaping to Hawaii for a portion of our Christmas break.

Sun, sand, and traveling about 10,000 miles with a toddler and an infant. Sounds amazing, huh?

As plans came together for MNU to play in the Hoop'n'Surf Classic in Honolulu several of our extended family members jumped on board and decided to come "support the team." I was excited for the opportunity to travel...yet terrified of making the trip with the kids. I mean, come on, we were going to be "those people" on the plane with the screaming, pooping, tiny kids and all their crap that goes along with them. I was freaked. I read articles about traveling, downloaded recommended apps for kids, made DVDs of Cade's favorite TV shows, purchased new books, little toys and backpacks for the kids, very carefully packed our bags, and pretty much braced myself for the worst. I'm a realist (which Matt says is code for mean and negative) but I knew this wasn't going to just be fun at the beach. It was going to be a trip...not a vacation...a trip where I had to be the mom and be prepared to keep everyone entertained and happy...and in clean pants.

That being said, it actually was a mostly perfect trip! The kids traveled extremely well and we had a great time enjoying the sand and sun of Hawaii! I guess maybe bracing myself for the worst and then hoping for the best really worked.

We had more than enough things packed to keep everyone entertained and happy on the plane and we didn't run out of diapers or even need our extra outfits. Success! We used suckers for Cade during take off and landing and I fed Reese a pumped bottle to keep everyone's ears happy. Seemed to work well.

We flew from KC to Dallas and then after an hour and a half layover we tackled the long flight to Hawaii. (Cade was confused why we weren't at the beach after the first flight...)

After much deliberation, we opted to bring Cade's carseat onto the plane for the flight. We figured he'd be able to see out better, sleep better, and we could strap Reese into it when Cade was on a lap. It was annoying to lug on and off the plane but we did have plenty of extra hands (usually a basketball player) to help with that. We checked our double stroller and Reese's car seat at the gate each time. Also annoying, but I was very glad to have all of it along with us. I wasn't sure if we'd need the seats to ride on the bus or in rental cars in Hawaii and we did use Reese's seat for her to sleep in some since the sit'n'stand stroller isn't always conducive to that. I carried Reese around in my Beco carrier often. I just love that thing.

Shortly after arriving and checking into our hotel, we had to introduce Cade to the ocean!

It was fun having so many of our favorite people there with us! Matt's parents and sister, my parents and sisters, the Hepker's and the Lamar's.


Pearl Harbor on our first full day.

The reason for the trip...the games. Pioneers took on some tough opponents and went 1-1. They played Monday and Tuesday mornings leaving us with the rest of the time to just take it all in!

Sauder Family Luau action

Keeley Family Luau action

Pretty cool watching the sun set with the ocean view!

Some of the team enjoying the luau

Some beautifu Hawaiian Luau "Barbies"

Conner, a Pioneer, making his rather lengthy guest appearance on stage

Snorkel Fun at Hanauma Bay

We got huge snow cones pretty much every day and ate at some neat restaurants

Beach Bums



Reese was a great little traveler. She didn't love the beach her first day and timed her afternoon naps perfectly during beach time for the rest of the trip.

Cade, however, LOVED the beach and the waves. He could've stayed out there all day every day and is anxious to go back. Perhaps we could find a closer beach to visit next time?
The kids slept fairly well and adjusted to Hawaii time pretty easily. They went to bed at about 8:30-9pm Hawaii time but still seemed to wake up at about their normal time according to Kansas time. Helped us to make the most of our time there. They usually napped on the go or not at all (Cade). They were good and tired when we returned back to the mainland.


The trip home was even more smooth as we flew through the night and the kids slept pretty much the whole time. We returned to Kansas to find snow on the ground. I even missed a snow day from school while I was gone. Best way to spend a snow day EVER!

If there were any stressful parts of this trip I must have already blocked them out and look back on it as a great week of making fun memories with my kids. It was a wonderful time and helps put everything into perspective. It makes tackling trips to the grocery store or keeping everyone quiet during Christmas Eve service seem like nothing after conquering a trip to Hawaii!

*For more fun pics see Gentry's recap of the trip at good 'ol Journeys of Gentry.

2 comments:

Trophy Wife said...

Loved your recap and the photos. You and your family are so fun! Someone has to be the mom or the world would stop turning. Seriously. And you're the best one I know.

Jody said...

I'm amazed with you and your family! Not only are you able to fly to Hawaii with 2 kids, you all look so cute while doing it! I'm not even ready to attempt to fly with Leah yet. I'm also jealous you got to spend part of your Christmas break in Hawaii, it looks so fun and warm!