I wasn't 100% sure at this point...but I had a feeling she probably wasn't going to be waiting for that scheduled c-section that was to occur the next Tuesday, March 27th. I had many feelings. Called contractions. I'd been having Braxton-Hicks contractions for several weeks. Just feelings of tightening in my abdomen. But on Thursday afternoon they started to feel different. Painful. Much more painful.
I was induced with Cade and labored for 2 days before having a c-section due to "failure to progress" (which was actually due to a baseball-sized fibroid blocking the birth canal). You can brush up on your recollection of Cade's arrival here. I was quickly reminded of the pains I felt during those 2 days of contractions...because it felt just like that. Only this time, instead of being hooked up to machines in a bed at Olathe Med like I was with Cade, I was in my classroom busily trying to serge the tops and bottoms of the 8th graders pajama pants projects. I kept an eye on the clock and noted that contractions were about every 10 minutes and lasting about 20-30 seconds and were somewhat inconsistent. Is this labor, I wondered...and kept working to make "just in case" arrangements in case I didn't make it back to school tomorrow (for my last scheduled day). I left school at 5pm, stopped by the dry cleaners to drop off the clothes that had been sitting in my backseat for a few days, and called my doctor to find out what to do if these did just happen to be contractions. The answering service answered and my doctor quickly called me back. She said the only way to know if it was labor was to come to the hospital and get checked. I declined. I just didn't want to get sent back home if this was nothing. I could handle it for awhile longer.
When I got home it became obvious to Matt (and then to me) that this was for real. We quickly packed our bags and made arrangements for Coach and Jo to come sit with Cade until our family could get here. We did the worst packing job ever during these 20-minutes. I had a bag mostly ready, but still needed to add the things that I use daily. It was very hard to concentrate on anything with contractions interrupting me and Cade freaking out about Mommy being in pain. "Mommy, hold you!" Once we got to the hospital they checked us in at the ER and sent us up to the 5th floor, The Birthplace. The nurse said I was 2cm dilated and definitely having contractions. (Sidenote: I had at times wondered "what if" and possibly wanted to take a stab at a vaginal birth just to see what I was missing out on...I no longer feel this way. This brush with contractions was enough for me to be very thankful that I get to go in and get drugged and NOT have to wait to progress from a 2 to a 10). Dr. Bavishi came in and said very non-chalantly that we'd be having the c-section right now instead of on Tuesday. Wow, ok. Great! In highsight, I see that I should have headed to the hospital sooner instead of feeling like I had to prove myself with those contractions! Matt made a few calls to my substitute, the school secretary, and our parents to let everyone know it was "GO" time. They prepped me for surgery (which felt like it took forever but it was really less than 30 minutes) and off we went! Last time I had an epidural and this time I had a duramorph (I think) spinal block. (Insert infomercial here.) This was the best thing ever. Last time I was crazy-person groggy in the operating room and could not walk for DAYS after the surgery. This time I was very coherent and was able to get up and around and even take a shower 12 hours later. Amazing. I made special note that I would like to have this next time...unless they've created some other miracle drug/method by then as "next time" will be taking place at least 3-4 years from now! Oh and other exciting news, to me anyway, is that Dr. Bavishi said she cut out my old scar. She just cut it off and pulled my skin tighter before sewing me up this time. Excellent! I didn't even know that was an option! Mini-tummy tuck?
Meet Reese! She arrived at 8:06pm Thursday, March 22, 2012.
She was a tiny little thing weighing less than seven pounds!
My mom and MaKenzie were the first to meet her as they arrived at around midnight that night and stopped by before heading to our house to relieve Coach and Jo from Cade-duty. While they were there, the hospital was experiencing a power outage and I was intermittently throwing up from lack of eating before taking all the drugs, I guess. It all seems kinda like a blur but there were no lights, no monitors working, I couldn't adjust my bed, and we couldn't watch the NCAA tournament games without power. Also the fire alarms would go off at random. This lasted for a couple hours. I was content just to hold Reese (and occasionally throw up in the little punch-out barf bag things).
Like I said the next day was great. I got to have the catheter removed, could take a shower, and even wear my own clothes! Despite the power outage chaos, my nurses were great all throughout my stay and I was, again, very pleased with Olathe Med. In my mind it's like a mini-vacation the way they wait on me, bring me good food, give me happy pills, etc. The recovery this time was much, much better than after the 2 days of labor, epidural and c-section last time.
Finally Cade got to come up and meet "Sister" as he called her. We had a little moment first with the 3 of us where we gave him a Mr. Potato Head that he'd been wanting.
Then we introduced him to Reese.
He has been so sweet with her.
He really is a great big brother and loves having her around, playing with her, teaching her things and holding her.
G-Mom and Papa. Proud grandparents with their first grand-daughter!
Grandma Jan and Grandpa Mike
I'm having a lot of fun dressing her up in girly things and especially big, huge bows! Too bad that with her tiny head only a few of our millions of bows fit her right now.
It was a little chaotic during Cade's visits to the hospital but we found ways to keep him entertained.
Juggling two kids...whoa. I'm sure it will be better once I'm all healed up and can lift Cade again.
We headed home on Sunday afternoon. We actually felt pretty rested leaving the hospital.
Ready to roll! I kept telling Reese about how great her room at home is and how much she will love it.
It was a beautiful day and we were greeted by Matt's parents, my parents and my sister Gentry.
Cade was napping when we arrived home but he was thrilled to greet "Sister" when he woke up.
Reese loves her pretty room...but she'd prefer to be held while she sleeps rather than mess up her beautiful bed.
I don't know if it's that I'm more rested this time, more confident, more sane, more experienced...probably a combination. I just find myself being so full of joy and so thankful. Thankful for our family and friends helping us out. Thankful for my beautiful, healthy kids and my thoughtful husband. Thankful that my mom has been with us this week to help us get back on our feet around here. She is amazing. I'm not near as scared as I was with Cade. With Cade I felt like everything I knew in life had been so quickly replaced with things I wasn't sure about. Things I didn't know how to care for. And that was a very difficult transition for me. I know we're only a week in with Reese but I am thanking God for the strength, wisdom and pure joy He's given me for this new phase of life! We are so blessed!
4 comments:
So, so happy for you!! I had a similar birth experience with P as you did with Cade and you don't know how nice it is to hear about your experience with Reese. I am so glad everyone is healthy and happy!! You are such an amazing mommy!!
Jana, I was exactly the same way when I had addelyn. I was just so happy. I thought it was because those parenting emotions were now in place and I could just enjoy her so much more! Congrats! She's so beautiful! And I lol'd a couple of times throughout your blogpost!
Congrats Jana! I'm glad to hear everything went smoothly and you're enjoying little Reese, she's a doll! You have a beautiful family!
That post almost made me cry! I'm so happy that you are transitioning so well. Your family is SO beautiful, your mom, your sisters, YOU, and that gorgeous new addition. So excited to see you soon!
Post a Comment