Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Visit to Pi Phi Barbie

I joined Gentry, my mom, and my grandparents in visiting Collegiate Barbie at Oklahoma State last weekend. It was great to see her in her element just livin' it up on campus! We met several of her friends and enjoyed spending the day walking in her shoes.
She's all grown up!

My mom, an OSU alum, was all about getting Gentry and I to admit that OSU is the most beautiful campus ever. Sorry Mom, as if.

I just prefer the look of limestone, I guess. It was fun seeing Stillwater, but it doesn't have a thing on Manhappiness.


Papa did not enjoy the smoke-free campus. He was in disbelief.


Glad I decided to wear the scarf and boots...despite being 10 years older than Collegiate Barbie...and pregnant...I like to think I've still got it.

We stayed at the hotel on campus run by the Hotel Restaurant Management School.

This was MaKenzie's initiation weekend so we were able to attend the reception after her big to-do. She's officially a Pi Beta Phi. Although Gentry and I are Gamma Phi Beta's...we are okay with this. I am okay with this. Really, I am.

It was fun seeing the Pi Phi house. But it really was a lot tougher accepting she's not going to live at 1807 Todd Rd than I thought it would be.
Pi Phi formal living room. Swanky.

Lots of trophies in the Pi Phi living room...but have they ever been top chapter in the nation?! Ok, enough comparisons.

This arrow points to the Pledge Class "Angel Pledge" Award Winner! Voted top pledge for exemplary Pi Phi-ness. So proud!

This was a very educational visit. I realized that I am old. I was mildly annoyed by the immaturity of some of the college kids around and the lack of parking in town. That alone makes me feel like a senior citizen. When I think back to make comparisons to my own college experience, SO much has changed. There was no Facebook, no texting, no smartphones. But there were late night pizza runs, the excitement of sorority and fraternity events, and the distractions of going to the library to study while sitting on the "cool" floor. It was fun to see the Kid having the time of her life. And not to make it all about me, but well it is my blog, it was fun to think back to my own college and sorority memories...no matter how long ago it was.

3 comments:

Sam said...

hahaha, this post made me smile and laugh out loud thinking about how old we really are! I probably shouldn't make any greek comparisons on a comment... Anyway, you guys are so cute and you definitely still got it, ha! (did you notice all of your matching boots?!?)

Trophy Wife said...

You definitely still have it! You've always had it. I assume your sisters have been always trying to live up to your example.

I blame myself now for Barbie not coming to KSU, clearly we didn't make enough of an impact on that visit when she was 8. :)

Please tell Mom that the greenery/beauty of KSU's campus is the second biggest reason people come to KSU. I'm just saying. :)

Kelly Michael said...

I can't believe the Kid is in College. You look amazing by the way. I love this post, just makes me think back to all the great times we had (and there were a lot of them). Is it sad that I really, really miss Gumby's?!