Sunday, April 24, 2011

Youth Trumps Training & Experience

We had such a fun Easter weekend it will take two entries to recap it all!

Friday night--dance party upon checking into our hotel room. It was all Cade's idea. He's in love with clock radios.

Cade, dropping it like it's hot.

Bathtime after a dip in the swimming pool. (Forgot my camera in the room while at the pool). Look at my two little hams...

After dinner with the crew it was Easter basket time! Both my family and Matt's always go all out to make holidays special for Cade.

Everyone watches as Cade reads the book they all recorded for him.

G-Mom is great with Easter baskets! Cade actually got one from her last year too--yes, that was before he was actually born!

Now, what you've all been waiting for...the race. It was a bit chilly for spectators but overall good weather. I was just glad there wasn't any rain!

Gentry was a bit scared...

We're ready!

Heading to the start line...

Can you spot "Race Day Barbie?"

Here we are!

It was our goal to keep up with this guy who was wearing bunny ears...and actually ended up juggling during the whole race.

The start was very packed and slow...since the race was pretty much on a narrow bike path it was clogged with people for most of the race.

Matt photographed some of the people in front of us...like this really old guy. Thanks, Matt!

And...juggling bunny man...it ended up being a lofty goal to keep up with him...

Here we are at the 4K mark...having a chummy time! The race was only broken up by kilometers, not miles. Maybe that's the norm but I was annoyed. I was having to exert way too much brain power trying to figure out how far was left!

Cade was a very encouraging fan! He loves clapping so this was very entertaining for him!

And now...Race Day Barbie at the 7K mark

Shortly behind her, G-Dog

And shortly behind them...me...I gave Matt a look that says, "I know, I surrender"
They slowly pulled away at about the half-way mark. I tried to catch back up but just couldn't keep the faster pace, I worried about being able to finish!

Race Day Barbie heads to the finish line! She has what it takes!

About a minute later is Gentry. She looked strong the whole race! Way to go!

And pretty close after that...me. 55 minutes 34 seconds. I apparently have one pace whether I'm running a 10K or twice that! And while I did get last--I mean third--in our family, I promise I wasn't last in the whole race (it doesn't really look like there's people after me...but there are!)

Post-race, my body was angry with my lack of training. Super sore and tired...and very upset...tummy. Enough said.
After showers at the hotel and lunch at Jason's Deli we headed to the "Bachelorette Pad" aka Gentry's place

Cade made himself at home...

We had a great time using the monster-themed egg dyeing kit!

Not bad huh?

I love decorating eggs and part of me is a little sad we didn't get to hide them.


So there you have it. Youth edges out the properly trained and the experienced & cocky! Anyone for a re-match?

4 comments:

Trophy Wife said...

Dangit! I knew I should have gone with Race Day Barbie! :) Looks like you had fun. Oh, and your time was supa fast to me AND your legs look super skinny. Nice work. :)

mindy said...

So which book did everyone record for Cade?? I want to make sure it isn't the SAME one we just recorded for his birthday! :(

And we (I) thought it was so genius...

Jamie said...

Good job, lady!

Lauren Grier said...

Way to go! What a fun way to spend Easter weekend!