
School has begun (for teachers, kids on Friday). You'll be glad to know (since most of you work full-time ALL YEAR..can't fathom it!!) that I'm focusing on the positive and just being thankful that I had the last 3 months off with Cade and NOT COMPLAINING about going back. At least not today anyway.
At our first staff meeting back they had us do an "ice-breaker" that is really sticking with me. A lot of people dread ice-breakers. I pretty much love them. Hey, I was a peppy cheerleader, sorority girl, and overall conformist...why did you think I wouldn't like ice-breaker games?
On with the ice-breaker. The theory is that everyone has at least 1 or 2 OCD behaviors. After a brief introduction you then had to share your behavior of choice with the entire staff. It was hilarious...and frightening. Freak-o people are everywhere. And I'm definitely one of them. I had to think hard to narrow down from many, many options what I was actually going to say out loud as my OCD behavior. Answers ranged from pretty common closet sorting tendencies to alarm clock setting tendencies to having to set the TV volume at a multiple of 5. It was actually quite a bonding moment to learn all this baggage about people. I can't help thinking about it randomly. Like how one guy has to go to bed at 10pm no matter what. That was like 2 hours ago...
I realized that I'm a freak about...
--crumbs on my kitchen counter (yet somehow I can have an inch of hair and hair spray on my bathroom counter and not give a rip)
--Living room couch pillows (Don't touch 'em!!!)
--Closet has to be sorted by color/purpose
--Check book must be balanced and reconciled
--Slow drivers...wait any driver in front of me...this might not be OCD but just impatience...judge rules...still counts
--Having to clear shows off the DVR as if it was on my to-do list instead of just watching TV for pleasure
--Cell phone chargers not staying plugged in when the phone isn't charging
--Sorting items and putting them in a specific order when placing them on the check out conveyor belt in case the check out guy doesn't sort things my way
--Kitchen utensils sorted in my Pampered Chef carousel thing (all spatulas together, all wooden spoons together, etc)
--Having to blog since it's been a few days even though I am DEAD TIRED!!!
But, if you've made it this far, please respond. The world wants to know your OCD behavior. C'mon, I know you have at least one or two. And if you're a relative of mine...I bet you have more!!!!
9 comments:
Oh Jana, I just love you! You always bring a smile to my face!!! I'm sure I have several OCD behaviors. But I need to sleep on it.
How funny, never thought about it but i do agree and have most of the same OCD behaviors....could this be hereditary or contagious? I did start sorting my pampered chef carousel after I saw you do it so don't blame me for that one!
I sort my skittles. By color. And then eat them one color at a time. Same with m&ms. Chris won't let the TV volume be on 13.
haha, this is great! i know i have a lot...one of them being i cannot set the alarm clock with a time that ends with a 0 or 5. so instead of waking up at 7:00, i wake up at 6:57 or 7:11...it tricks me into thinking i somehow got more sleep than i really did.
This is hilarious! I'm sure I have a bunch of them... most of mine have to do with food. I dont really eat meat because the second I see it my mind is consumed with thoughts of how it was slaughtered and the bloody mess it made. I do eat chicken, but only if there is no skin, no bones, and no visible veins. AND only if I don't have to see it while it is raw... Jake does most of the cooking.
Jana,
WE MISS YOU!!!!
Ok, now that the greeting is out of the way...here are a couple of my OCD tendencies:
TP always unrolls over the top, not underneath.
Even if it doesn't belong there, DON'T move my stuff for me.
My desk may look like a mess to the average person, but I can tell you how to find that one piece of paper in the mess with very specific directions.
With two teenage sons still at home, the washing machine and dryer should NEVER be empty! And don't leave the lid of the washer open with clothes still it it!!!
Wow. I feel better-thanks for letting me vent a little, Jana, and take care of that adorable boy!
Anna
anna.pamprdchef@gmail.com
I have Skittles OCD too! I always eat two at a time and they have to be the same color. Same goes with M&Ms or any multi colored small candy. I don't know if that's really ocd or just a weird habit.
I must have the bed made. Must.
Closets are color coordinated. I tried to color coordinate Drew's closet, but it never lasts.
Dang. That's all I can think of... I really thought I was a bigger freak than that.
Ok, I've thought long & hard about this & I definitely have "I'm a princess when it comes to bedtime" OCD. I can't sleep with any constant, repetitious noise like a loud fan or ticking clock. Impossible. It must be quiet. I wear an eye mask EVERY.SINGLE.NIGHT (even if the room is pitch black)
I'm sure there are more....
Mostly standard FACS classroom OCD behaviors:
Grocery lists must be made in order of aisles.
Grocery items must be grouped together (cold items, frozen items, canned goods, condiments, etc.)
Measuring cups are stacked and put together correctly. Read: Plastic ones can not be stacked with metal ones.
Items put in wrong cabinet.
Post a Comment