Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Seriously?!


I went to the dentist today for my 6-month check up and cleaning. You wouldn't think this would be note-worthy enough to center a blog post around...unless you're me. I somehow have the most eventful dental check ups ever! (Well, not EVER. I'm sure Kylie has some stories...) If you recall, last time I had a cleaning I then had to return to the dentist for FOUR follow-up appointments to have TWELVE cavities filled. So I wondered what the heck could possibly be wrong this time. I'm a huge skeptic of the dentist. They pry open your mouth so you can't talk or ask questions and then speak in some other language to each other saying things like "the distal mesial 4 is a 5" or something like that. Sketchy. However, they did educate me on some things today.

1. My gums are in danger. I'm apparently having an allergic reaction to Colgate toothpaste causing crazy inflammation of the gums.
2. I'm a "violently vigorous" brusher and I'm wearing away the gum and BONE tissue and have some nearly exposed roots. Really?
3. I have (and this is a direct quote) "blister-like mounds" on the back of my throat that I need to "keep an eye on." That sounds totally disgusting!!
4. And finally, I have a clogged salavary gland/duct causing a large bump under my tongue that I've never noticed before today but am now practically losing sleep over.

WOW! I have some crazy ailments...or a crazy dentist? Or...maybe I'm not allergic to the toothpaste and my gums were just inflamed because I don't floss regularly but I did floss right before the appointment. Isn't that what everyone does? I will try to get on the flossing bandwagon (again) but who REALLY flosses regularly? Come on, be honest.

5 comments:

Trophy Wife said...

Wow! That is crazy. I have an equal skepticism and hatred of the dentist. It is expensive, painful, and in the end you basically lose them all anyway. Why can't we come up with something better than this? I actually have one here that I love love love so if you need a new dentist, let me know! :) Good luck with those gums and such, that is no fun at all!

Jamie said...

Me! I floss daily!!! It comes from sharing a bathroom with Kylie for a year! However, at my last appointment they told me I was allergic to the ingredient in Colgate Total and it was messing with my gums. I've definitely got mouth issues. Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

Anonymous said...

How appropriate! I just happened to check-in on your blog today and was suprised to see a picture of someone "opening wide!" I mean I see it every day...but not on a blog!

I must admit...I think you have more of a crazy dentist than a crazy ailment! Let me know when you are settled in KC...we'll find you someone much better! :)

~Kylie

Gentry said...

I went to the dentist on Wednesday...my teeth are looking excellent and absolutely no cavities (ever). Maybe you should visit the dentist in Great Bend??
Also, tell Matt I think his rockstar belt is ugly. :)

mindy said...

Grandmama is an avid flosser. She'll give you some tips. The gum issues may be real though. I had to have some gum work done and G-mama was threatened with it- hence the avid flossing. ;)