Every semester my 8th grade FACS students participate in the MTMS Dessert Challenge. For this "challenge" they get to pick out their own recipes (in groups of 4) and make them for a panel of judges (other teachers and principals). It's fun to watch them take such pride in making pies from scratch or creating a multi-layer cake. Grocery shopping for this event is a nightmare, but I usually do walk away with a few recipes I'd like to try again myself. This year's winner...Oreo Balls...from a group of 4 boys. I've never attempted to make cake balls...I hear it's quite complex. I had one (advanced) group of girls venture to make cake balls from a cake they made from scratch. This resulted in their group (and me) staying after school until 4:30 one day. And actually, their cake balls were quite ugly. The boys on the other hand, easily finished within the 44 minute class period. And they were good. I attempted to make the recipe for our staff cookie exchange. Don't tell anyone...but the boys' turned out much prettier than mine. But they do taste great! And they were considerably easier than other cake ball recipes.
Scrape off icing from a pack of oreos. Mix the icing with a package of cream cheese until fluffy and crush up the cookies in a ziploc bag. (Crush them up until they are crumbs. I left mine as chunky pieces and I regret it). Mix in the crumbs with the fluffy icing/cream cheese mixture and shape into balls. Chill them in the fridge for a bit.

Then dip in almond bark.

The dipping was difficult. There had to have been an easier way.

Back in the fridge until ready to serve. Perhaps I need to ask the 8th grade boys for some tips...

Find the
recipe at cooks.com.
2 comments:
Jana, I have a much easier recipe and easier way to do cake balls if you are ever interested. LeaAnn (DeAnna's sister-in-law)
Anything dipped in Almond Bark is good by me! These look fantastic!
Post a Comment