Thursday, May 29, 2008

May Project on Display

May's project is...making aprons! What's better than a homemade Mother's Day gift? On a whim (just as I usually operate) I decided to buy an apron pattern at Hobby Lobby to make myself an apron. This was ignoring the fact that the pattern and supplies cost well over $20...which would have bought me a pretty nice apron. Clearly, the point was to be crafty and make it myself. So I set up my ghetto little sewing corner at the dining room table and with the help of my sewing book and a few calls to Grandmama, viola. Apron done. However, I will never be able to wear this apron anywhere but my own kitchen (and NEVER when we have company) because it turned out awful. It was really more like an engineering project of tucking and sewing and creating. So I resolved I was bad at this and would never make another apron. This is me during the project (apron #1) and I did not take a picture of the finished product to protect my self-esteem.


But then Grandmama called and asked how the apron turned out...and I told her how I messed it all up...and she told me how to fix it...so in an effort to make it worth the money I'd spent on the pattern, I tried again. And this one turned out much better. It was actually fun to make too! I had such a great sense of accomplishment when I finished my project. I was so proud. It was even good enough to give as a gift! So I gave this one to my mom. (It's reversible). Doesn't she look lovely modeling it below?





And I also made a reversible one for Matt's mom too. I think they really liked them. Or at least they were proud of me for attempting to make their gifts for Mother's Day.

Now I'm going to just have to make a new one for me...one that could be worn in front of people.

3 comments:

Braxmeyers said...

You go Martha Stewart! Very cute--I know where you got that idea! :)

Trophy Wife said...

Love it! And I love your mom, but mostly love the apron, well done. You're definitely becoming Susie Homemaker.

joelnjen said...

Those aprons ROCK! You're going to have to teach me!!! I need some of those home-ec skills! Hope you're having a great summer. Miss you!!! love, jen